Benchmarking is a feature inside the HackerRank for Work platform that compares candidate’s scores on specific skills against a cohort of candidates who have been assessed on the same set of skills. As of now, the available cohorts for benchmarking are -
- Candidates within the same organization.
- Candidates across the HackerRank for Work platform.
Importance of Benchmarking
For a hiring manager, it is crucial to make hiring decisions that can be backed by data and this is where benchmarking comes in handy. As a hiring manager, you will receive additional signals with the help of benchmarking which in turn will help you evaluate candidates objectively and help you answer the question “how good is this developer”?
Essentially, benchmarking focuses on the following three cases.
- CodeScreen Benchmarking - Real-Time data on a candidate’s performance can serve as a better criterion compared to static cut-offs. Thus, benchmarking enables hiring managers to make better screening decisions.
- Interview Benchmarking - It is also possible to benchmark a candidate's Interview performance against the average rating given by an interviewer. It also helps you ensure a consistent benchmark across your interview panel.
- Debrief Packet - The benchmarking feature provides additional information on a candidate’s performance including their scores in CodeScreen (assessment) and , benchmarked against a cohort of candidates who have been assessed on the same skill.
View benchmarking inside Candidate Packet
- To view your candidate’s benchmarking data, open the Candidate Packet. Click here to know more about how to view candidate packets.
- Expand the View Benchmarking section as shown in the below image.
- Click on the edit icon beside Benchmarking Group and select the cohort against which you want to compare the candidate’s performance. Select the appropriate option from the Benchmarking Group dropdown.
- Once you select the benchmarking group, you will be able to view data of the candidate against the benchmarked skills. Click on the expand icon to expand each skill and view benchmarking data against the same.
For example, In the below image, the selected candidate is benchmarked against a group of candidates assessed by the same company in the last 365 days. You can see the comparative data on the candidate’s performance, in both online assessments as well as live interviews, against specific skills when you click on those skills.
Candidate packet and benchmarking together is a better way to look at a candidate's performance and also look at all the touchpoints. This will also help in making faster hiring decisions which will reduce time to hire.