Modern system design interviews usually start with the interviewer drawing a basic architecture on the virtual whiteboard and asking the candidate to improve it. It is a mundane effort for the interviewer to set up the basic design every time. We now have an option to create and save Whiteboard Questions to your question library. You can use these questions both in tests and interviews, thus saving a lot of time and standardizing your system design interview experience.
Steps to create a Whiteboard question
Follow the below steps to create Whiteboard Questions in your HackerRank account.
- Click on the Create Question button on the Library tab on the Home page.
- Select Whiteboard from the question types.
- Under the Problem Statement, enter question name, score, duration, and problem description. Next, click on Save & Proceed.
- Now in the Whiteboard Settings, you can draw the basic system design required for the interview. After completing the drawing, you can click on Save Question to save it in the library.
Using a Whiteboard Question in Interview
- Click on the “+” icon in the interview and select Import Question from the drop-down menu to add the whiteboard questions from your library.
- Click on Use Question to import the desired whiteboard question in the interview.
- Whiteboard question is imported into the interview.
Using a Whiteboard Question in Test
- Select the question from the library and click on Add To Test.
- You can add that question to either a new test by selecting Create a New Test or any other existing test created by you.
Note: All the designs you create on the Whiteboard are in blue by default to differentiate the problem and the solution.