The focus of a company’s hiring should be to assess the skill level of a candidate and not worry about the language that a candidate can speak. However, this requires that the assessments be in the preferred language of candidates. With this capability, the companies can rest assured that the candidates would be assessed solely on their skills.
Select the Candidate Facing Language
A candidate language is defined as a language in which the candidate wants to take the test. This includes the emails that a candidate receives, the login screen, and the editor experience.
To enable this, HackerRank provides the companies with the ability to select the ‘Candidate Facing Language’ when sending out a test.
This can be selected under the ‘General’ tab of the test settings page as shown below
Once a test is created and published in a specific ‘Candidate Facing Language’ by the test creator, it is recommended to not change the ‘Candidate Facing Language’ for the same test.
Candidate Facing Changes to Review
Once the language is changed in the ‘General’ settings, the system will automatically change the candidate facing strings under the Candidates and Email tabs of Test Administration (shown below).
Note: It is important to note that only default text will be translated upon changing the ‘Candidate Facing Language’ in all the sections. Any custom text that is added in place of the default text or in addition to the default text will not be translated even upon changing the ‘Candidate Facing Language’.
- Review the following sections under the ‘Candidates’ tab
- Candidate details fields
- Disclaimer text
- Instructions text
- Review the following sections under the ‘Email’ tab
- Reminder emails
- Confirmation email
Once these are verified, invite the candidates to the test. Review the test invite mail since the content of this email would not be changed automatically, but, rather has to be changed manually by following the below steps,
- Click on the Invite button to invite candidates to the test.
- Review the content in the email body to make sure that it matches the candidate’s preferred language for the test.
- If you want to make changes to the existing content, you can either do it manually by replacing the existing text or by using the ‘Template’ functionality that is available.
- Create a new template by clicking on ‘Create Template’
- Enter the content body in the candidate’s preferred language. Name the template and add a subject line that is relevant to the test as shown below. Save the template by clicking on ‘Save’
- Once the template is saved, click on ‘Use this template’ to start using the template.
- You can see that the email template has now changed to the candidate’s preferred language.
- To make it easier to reuse, you can click on the star icon beside the created template to make it your default template.
The Candidate Experience
- Invite email:
Once the above changes are reviewed by the recruiter, the recruiter would invite the candidates to the test and below we can see how the candidate experience would look like:
Note: The invite email content would be available in Canadian French and the footer text would be changed at the system level to match the candidate’s preferred language.
- Candidate Site:
The candidate would see the login screen and the test experience (questions and related options in the test page in their preferred language.
The test-taking experience would also be in French (questions+system text).
Note: The questions should be translated by the customer and will not be translated by HackerRank.
If you want to have this feature enabled in your account, please contact your customer success manager from HackerRank