HackerRank is a technology hiring platform that helps companies seamlessly hire skilled developers in a remote-first environment. As a technical recruiter or hiring manager, you can use HackerRank's Developer Skills Platform to objectively evaluate tech talent at every stage of your company's recruiting process. Here is a guide to help you get started with the HackerRank platform.
The Developer skills Platform is designed around 4 core components of the hiring process that will help you hire the right candidate for a job role.
Planning is critical in any hiring process and in the remote first work environment, a proper hiring plan has become more important than ever. Whether you are hiring recent university grads or experienced professionals, you can use our platform to customize roles and examinations to meet your specific hiring needs and effectively assess the right skills for the job thus experiencing an excellent candidate hiring experience.
Choosing the right Skills for a Role
The Roles Management module in the HackerRank for Work platform is designed to give more control and structure to the hiring process. The HackerRank Skills Directory hosts a set of skills along with key competencies based on Industry standards vetted by the HackerRank Skills Advisory Council. You can create Roles and map them to specific skills that meet the requirements for the Role.
We provide you with end-to-end screening options to accelerate your hiring process and save time wasted in reviewing huge volumes of resumes. The screening process involves Tests and interviews, which are discussed below in detail.
Picking the Right Question
The HackerRank library offers you a wide range of ready-made questions with different levels of complexity across various programming languages. You can use these questions in your assessments and evaluate your candidates for a specific role. You can find these ready to use questions in our library under ‘HackerRank Questions’. Further, if you want to use custom questions in your tests, you can do so by creating questions from the library. Custom questions are saved in “My Company Questions” in the library.
Library Screen in HackerRank
Hassle-free Question Search
You can use the filter option in the HackerRank library to easily skim through the available questions. Select the job role from the drop-down and use various filters like skills, difficulty, recommended time, owner etc to find the right set of questions and use them in your test
Creating Assessment for your Role
As a hiring manager, you can create online assessments to assess candidates for various roles.
You can either create a predefined test on specific roles or create your own questions and add them to your custom tests. You can also filter tests from the test dashboard based on Labels, Owners, Roles and Work Experience.
Here is a video on how to create a test in HackerRank,
Know how your Candidates have Performed
Inside a test, you will get the reporting and insights features that help you gain perspective into how your Candidates are performing in their Tests and also analyze the Test efficiency in hiring the right talent. The detailed test report gives you a comprehensive view of the submitted answers, code solutions, automatically evaluated scores, test case execution statuses, logs, etc. The detailed test report also offers code quality checks and plagiarism detectors to help you classify Candidates who provide genuine solutions in your Tests.
You can download candidate reports in the form of PDFs or excels.
- Test Insights
- Viewing a Candidates Detailed Test Report
- Downloading PDF and Excel Test Reports
- Plagiarism Detection
The HackerRank Interview platform lets you conduct effective technical interviews with candidates remotely in a real-time coding environment. You can leverage a library of 2,100+ questions and schedule 1:1 or panel interviews with candidates who have passed the previous rounds of the hiring process. Here are some of the key features of HackerRank Interview.
- Virtual Lobby: With panel interviews with candidates, it becomes essential to ensure that the participants inside the interview are not disturbed by the sudden appearance of others. The virtual lobby feature inside HackerRank Interviews helps you deal with this challenge. Learn More.
- Built-in IDE: To support as many languages as possible and assist you with the ability to evaluate the candidate as per your job requirements, we have a user-friendly built-in IDE. This built-in IDE supports more than 40 languages.
- Integration with Test: Import questions from the Screen stage and iterate on them together in real-time. This feature gives you an opportunity to review the code with the candidate in real-time, ask questions, and better understand the candidate’s approach to problem-solving. You can also import questions from the library or use custom questions during the interview. Learn More.
- Recommended Questions: To make interviews seamless and efficient, we also provide Recommended Questions within the “Import Question” section which offer a set of questions specially designed for interviews and these questions usually take less than 30 mins to solve and are designed to have a quick read time (~5 mins). Learn More
- Interviewer Scorecard: You can access the Interviewer Scorecard during an interview to manually evaluate the candidate you are interviewing. The interviewer scorecard is a private scorecard that displays a set of skills to be analyzed based on the role that the candidate is getting hired for. Learn More.
- Virtual Whiteboard: To elevate the remote interviewing experience, a collaborative virtual whiteboard is also integrated within our interviewing platform. Learn More.
- Interview Template: We ensure a consistent and structured interview process with no bias, by adding Interview templates. These templates assist you to set the same questions for all the candidates applying for a particular role. Learn More.
Watch this video to get started with the HackerRank Interview.
You can rank your candidates in HackerRank based on Code Quality, Problem Solving, Language Proficiency, and Technical Communication. Review candidate scores and integrated candidate packets across the entire hiring process. Benchmark results against your candidate pool and the HackerRank developer community to deliver even more confidence in your hiring decision.
HackerRank captures every touchpoint throughout the entire hiring process and presents the same in an integrated Candidate Packet that summarizes all of the data on the candidate’s technical skills. It provides you with a holistic view of the candidate’s performance.
Inside the candidate packet, HackerRank provides you with options for benchmarking. It assists you in comparing the performance of a candidate for a specific skill against the cohort of candidates who have been assessed on the same skill sets.