Single Sign-On (SSO) on HackerRank for Work can be configured using some popular identity providers, and one of the foremost examples is OneLogin.
The OneLogin SSO portal ensures that only authorized users get access to sensitive data, and users only have to enter one set of credentials to access apps in the cloud and behind the firewall – through desktops, smartphones, and tablets. With SAML, OneLogin SSO proves useful in securely logging users into HackerRank for Work either through the OneLogin portal or over your corporate intranet.
The following article is a quick guide to configuring SSO on HackerRank with OneLogin. To know about SSO and its benefits, read our article on Getting started with SSO.
Note: HackerRank can only accept the user's email address. In setup, the user defines the SAML assertion with necessary data. HackerRank SSO will fail if it receives anything but an email address.
Steps to Set up HackerRank SSO with OneLogin
- You must have an active HackerRank for Work account with company admin access.
- Log in to OneLogin with your OneLogin credentials and proceed to the administrator dashboard. On the account set-up dashboard, click on the Add Apps button as shown below.
- Clicking on Add Apps opens a new pane. In the search bar, search for HackerRank for Work and add. HackerRank for Work is OneLogin Verified and is now added to your list of applications. Make sure to choose the application with SAML 2.0 as shown below.
- Configure the HackerRank application with an appropriate display name, icons, and portal visibility. Clicking on the Save button makes certain that HackerRank has been added as an application. In the next step, you are required to enter a unique HackerRank SSO Key.
- Access the Settings page of your HackerRank for Work account (HRW) as shown below.
- Under the Settings option click on the Single Sign-On option to avail the SSO Unique ID. It is available in the Configure SSO section as marked in the screenshot below.
- Copy the SSO Unique ID onto the application details tab on the OneLogin configuration page and click on the Save button.
- Proceed to click on the More Action drop-down box, and click on the SAML Metadata option, which permits you to acquire the XML Metadata file that needs to be uploaded onto HackerRank’s SSO Settings Portal. The two-step process is illustrated in the screenshots below.
- Once the XML metadata file is uploaded, the Single Sign-On metadata URL is automatically generated. Copy the URL that got generated on uploading the metadata XML file to an incognito browser window for testing. You should be able to see the OneLogin sign-in page. Sign in and confirm that you are taken back to HackerRank.
- Once SSO is enabled, all users within your organization will be redirected to the OneLogin sign-in page while logging into their HackerRank for Work account.
- You can disable the SSO setup for your company, anytime, by clicking on the Disable SSO button, in the above image.
Note: After enabling SSO, the user does not need to enter the account password while logging in. Entering the correct username or email will automatically redirect to an SSO login.