SSO (Single Sign-on) on HackerRank for Work can be configured using some very popular Identity providers, one of which is Okta.
As an identity provider, Okta enables you to provide SSO access to the cloud, on-premise, and mobile applications. Once you sign into Okta, you can launch any of your web applications without re-entering your credentials. The following article is a quick guide to configuring SSO on HackerRank with Okta.
To know about SSO and its benefits, read our article on getting started with SSO.
Note: HackerRank can only accept the user's email address. In setup, the user defines the SAML assertion with necessary data. HackerRank SSO will fail if it receives anything but an email address.
Steps to Set up HackerRank SSO with Okta
- You need to have Okta login credentials to add HackerRank for Work to your list of applications on Okta.
Configuration on Okta
- Log in to Okta with your valid Okta credentials and proceed to the administrator dashboard. Under My Applications, click on the Add Applications option as shown below.
- Clicking on the Add Application option opens a new pane. Search for HackerRank for Work and add. HackerRank for Work is Okta Verified and is now added to your list of applications.
- Proceed to configure the General Settings and set the application label, set the visibility, and check the option to automatically log in when the user lands on the login page. Click on the Next button once finished.
- You are now configuring the settings on the sign-on options dialogue box, where you can view the setup instructions on SAML 2.0. Importantly, you are required to enter a unique SSO ID that you can configure in your HackerRank for Work account.
Configuring SSO on HackerRank
- In this step, copy the SSO Unique ID (refer to the below screenshot) and add it to your Identity Provider app (e.g., Okta, OneLogin, etc.) to allow you to generate the metadata XML file. For more information on Configuring and Enabling the SSO, refer to the Getting Started with SSO article.
Adding the SSO ID on Okta and Enabling SSO
Copy the SSO Unique ID from the SSO Login URL, paste only the SSO unique ID into the Okta sign-on options page and click on the Done button. The two-step process is illustrated below.
- Upon clicking on the Done button from the redirected page, fetch the metadata URL to paste into HackerRank For Work SSO Settings portal.
- Once the metadata XML file is generated, click on the Upload Metadata button and upload the file. Once uploaded, you will be able to see the metadata URL.
- In the Enable SSO step, copy the URL generated on uploading the metadata XML file to an incognito browser window for testing. You should be able to see your IDP sign-in page. Sign in and confirm that you are taken back to HackerRank.
- Enable SSO for all organization users by clicking the Enable SSO button. Going forward, all users will be forced to sign in through the Identity Provider log-in page.
- You can disable the SSO setup for your company by clicking on the Disable SSO button highlighted in red.
- Once the metadata URL is pasted into the SSO settings portal on HackerRank For Work, Setting up SSO with Okta integration is completed.
- Upon entering a valid username/email address during login, users will be redirected to Okta to be logged in using SSO.
Note: After enabling SSO, the user does not need to enter the account password while logging in. Entering the correct username/email will automatically redirect to an SSO login.