Single Sign-on on HackerRank for Work can be configured using some very popular Identity providers, one of which is Okta.
Okta, as an identity provider, enables you to provide SSO access to the cloud, on-premise, and mobile applications. Once you sign into Okta, you can launch any of your web applications without having to re-enter your credentials. The following article is a quick guide to configuring SSO on HackerRank with Okta.
To know about SSO and its benefits, read our article on getting started with SSO.
Steps to Set-ip HackerRank SSO with Okta
- Submit a request at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating you would like us to enable SAML 2.0 for your account.
- You need to have Okta login credentials in order to add HackerRank for Work to your list of applications on Okta.
Configurations inside Okta
- Log in to Okta with your valid Okta credentials and proceed to the administrator dashboard. Under My Applications, click on the Add Applications option as shown below.
- Clicking on the Add Application option opens a new pane. Search for HackerRank for Work and add. HackerRank for Work is Okta Verified and is now added to your list of applications.
- Proceed to configure the General Settings and set the application label, set the visibility, and check the option to automatically log in when the user lands on the login page. Click on the Next button once finished.
- You are now configuring the settings on the sign-on options dialogue box, where you can view the setup instructions on SAML 2.0. Importantly, you are required to enter a unique SSO ID that you can configure in your HackerRank for Work account.
Configuring SSO inside HackerRank
- In this step, copy the SSO Unique ID (refer to below screenshot) and add it to your Identity Provider app (eg: Okta, OneLogin, etc) to allow you to generate the metadata XML file. For more information on Configuring and Enabling the SSO, refer to the Getting Started with SSO article.
Adding the SSO ID in Okta and Enabling SSO
Copy the SSO Unique ID from the SSO Login URL, and paste only the SSO unique ID into the Okta sign-on options page and click on the Done button. The two-step process is illustrated below.
- Upon clicking on the Done button, from the redirected page, fetch the metadata URL to paste into HackerRank For Work SSO Settings portal.
- Once the metadata XML file is generated, click on the Upload Metadata button and upload the file. Once uploaded, you will be able to see the metadata URL.
- In the Enable SSO step, copy the URL that got generated on uploading the metadata XML file to an incognito browser window for testing. You should be able to see your IDP sign-in page. Sign in and confirm that you are taken back to HackerRank.
- Enable SSO for all users of the organization by clicking the Enable SSO button. Going forward, all users will be forced to sign in through the Identity Provider Login page.
- You can disable the SSO setup for your company, anytime, by clicking on the Disable SSO button highlighted in red.
- Once the metadata URL is pasted into the SSO settings portal on HackerRank For Work, Setting up SSO with Okta integration is successfully completed.
- During login, upon entering a valid username/email address, users will be redirected to Okta to be logged in using SSO.
Note: After enabling SSO, the user does not need to enter the account password while logging in. Entering the correct username/email will automatically redirect to an SSO login.