We are constantly updating HackerRank for Work with new improvements and fixes. Here is a summary of customer facing updates we have made from October 16, 2019 to January 13, 2020.
New Test Creation Wizard
We have released a Simplified Test Creation Wizard for all users and it includes the following improvements:
- Simple UX: It simplifies the test creation process and reduces the number of steps/ clicks involved.
- Accurate assessments: It uses the new and updated content on HackerRank
- Better Dev experience: Test creation automatically takes into account candidate feedback and ensures only the best questions are used.
- Accurate time allotment: The question selection takes into account the recommended time for each question. This helps in a good test-taking experience.
New Plagiarism Detection Improvements
We’ve updated the plagiarism detection feature. It compares a candidate's code-submission on a global level and intelligently checks for possible plagiarism. Submissions are now compared with all other submissions on HackerRank. Earlier, the comparison was done only with the submissions in the same test.
This results in a more accurate detection of plagiarized attempts and ensures only the worthy candidates are selected for the next round.
Projects in New Candidate Site
We updated the candidate experience in Q3 2019 for the majority of our question types. We have now made Project questions available on the updated candidate experience. All Project questions - Frontend, Backend, Fullstack, Data Science and DevOps will now work on the new experience.
.NET is one of the most popular development frameworks and we are excited to announce that we now support it. It is available as new framework under Project > Back-end Developer questions. We support .NET Core 3.0.101. You can use one of the new library questions added for .NET or create your own.
Support Additional Files for Data Science
Customers have been asking us to support larger data sets for Data Science Project questions. With additional files for Data Science, one can now add 5 data sets up to 100MBs each. These files are optional and are available outside of the project folder. These files are not directly available to the candidate. Once uploaded, one can use the public url available for these files inside a Jupyter notebook and allow candidates to work on them.
Improvements to detecting a leaked question
We’ve made significant improvements in our leak detection service. We’ve made sure that it accurately flags the leaked questions and ensures that only the most reliable questions are used by customers.
- 29% reduction in cases when a question is leaked but we do not flag it as leaked
- 5% reduction in cases when we wrongly flag a question as leaked.
We have also increased the frequency at which it is auto-triggered. This will help us proactively identify the leaked questions quickly.
Rust Language Support
Rust, the most loved programming language consecutively for the last 4 years in the Stack Overflow survey, is now supported across HackerRank CodeScreen and CodePair. Rust is a highly memory-efficient language and is used for writing blazing fast cross-platform solutions. Also, Rust programmers are very highly paid in the industry.
Simplified Setup for Single Sign On
We’ve updated the Single Sign On settings page. It is now visible for all customers who have access to SSO. The configuration steps can be completed and tested before it is enforced for users. It can also be turned off at any time if it is not working. By enabling SSO, we now automatically activate users and suppress the welcome email that prompts a user to set up their password.
Workable ATS Integration
HackerRank now integrates with the Workable Applicant Tracking System. With this integration, recruiters and hiring managers can invite candidates to take CodeScreen assessment tests and review tests directly from Workable. You can read about it on the blog post or read the support article.
- Send Test invitations to HackerRank assessments from within Workable
- Receive Test Results back in Workable when a candidate completes an assessment.
- Support for Candidates on Multiple Reqs
- If a Candidate applies to multiple reqs, they only need to take the HackerRank assessment once, the results will be sent to all reqs that requested the test.
- If a candidate has taken the test in the past, the historical result will be sent back to Workable.
The integration is easy to set up. A company admin can generate an API token from the API Settings page in HackerRank. This can be added to the Integrations page in Workable.
Test Health Dashboard
- Remove data from funnel past 90 days - Prior to this fix, the funnel used to show data from the beginning of the test even though the page mentioned the last 90 days. This led to data discrepancy between the funnel and the charts below. After this fix, funnel numbers will match the chart numbers.
- Remove API invitations from the funnel - Ideally, when 'Invited via Email' radio button is selected funnel should only show email invites but instead it also showed API invites without email. This is fixed now, funnel only shows email invites. For now, we have not fixed historical data but going forward funnel numbers will be accurate.
- Metrics Health
- New thresholds for the metrics, those are based on the # of invitations & attempts
- The lagging window which will make the health of the metrics more actionable
- A better explanation of the metrics and the health
- Metrics health available for the test with <5 invitations & attempts
- New formula to calculate CRS & AQS
- Changes to existing functionality
- CRS & AQS numerical scores removed.
- Yellow state for health metrics removed.
Candidate Report Exports
We have updated the export functionality for Completed Candidate Reports at the test level and All Candidate Reports in Insights. This update provides consistency in what can be downloaded, faster download for large CSVs and additional columns in the reports.
List of Changes:
- Added new columns
- Completed Candidates Report
- Candidate ID
- Invite ID
- Invited By - Email
- Invite valid from
- Invite valid to
- Invited At
- Geo Location
- Test ID
- Test Name
- Test Owner Name
- Test Owner Email
- Tags - Test
- Attempt Start Time
- Attempt End Time
- Time Taken per question
- Team Owner
- Candidate Rating
- Section Score
- All Candidates Report
- Candidate Details Custom Fields
- Test Tags
- Percentage Score
- Team Owner
- Candidate Rating
- Completed Candidates Report
- Data Improvements
- Moved data units to the column headers. For e.g. seconds, MB now shows up in the header. This will help in easy mathematical operations.
- Consistent data format. Instead of .72 minutes we now show 43 seconds.
Multiple customer impacting issues were fixed during Q4. Here are some of the top issues that were fixed:
- Launching Sudorank server took too much time
- Test Durations Overwritten
- Questions in candidate report appear shuffled even when option turned off
- Data quality of Test Health Dashboard
- Download export issues
- Invites candidate API issues
Changes or Regressions
- Removed DroidRank for all customers
- MCQ Scoring has changed. Test settings now takes precedence over question score.
- Package name updates: “Startup” is “Individual”
- New Test Creation Wizard
- New Plagiarism detection will show more results - across companies
- Tests with Projects questions have been migrated to New Candidate Site
- Removed CRS and AQS in Test Health Dashboard