During onsite technical interviews, candidates are often asked to use the whiteboard to explain their approach towards the solving problem. Hiring managers have found the whiteboard to be an effective tool to evaluate a candidate in the following aspects.
- System design skills.
- Presentation skills.
- On spot thinking and communication
This article will give you a brief idea about whiteboards in interviews and its key features.
Whiteboard in Interviews
To elevate the remote interviewing experience and make it more aligned with the conventional onsite interviews, we have integrated a collaborative whiteboard inside our interviewing platform.
HackerRank’s remote technical interviewing solution helps organizations conduct effective technical interviews any time, anywhere, in a real, interactive coding environment. Learn more about how to conduct interviews using the HackerRank platform here.
Key Features of the Whiteboard
The virtual whiteboard tool lets candidates and interviewers sketch diagrams using easy tools from the toolbar.
Here are some of the key highlights of the virtual whiteboard inside a HackerRank Interview.
- Basic Shapes and Text: The toolbar on top of the whiteboard hosts a number of commonly used shapes and text. You can choose a shape to draw by clicking on them or using their keyboard shortcut. The relevant keyboard shortcut is written below each available shape.
- Freehand tool: Candidates can also use the freehand option available in the toolbar to quickly sketch their thoughts on a data structure or an algorithm in a coding interview
- Working with Shapes: You can select either one shape or all shapes and move or delete them together. Use the Delete key from your keyboard after selecting a shape to delete it. You can also select and resize or rotate a shape if needed.
- Collaborative Experience: All participants present in the interview, at a time, are able to see the real-time cursor position of the others in the interview along with their names.
- Infinite Space: The virtual whiteboard removes the space limitation of a physical board at an onsite interview. It is an infinite space where you can scroll the existing content of the board up and continue with your sketch. Use the + and - icons at the bottom of your whiteboard to zoom in or out of the board.
Start a whiteboard within an Interview
When you land on an Interview, you will also see a whiteboard tab called "Whiteboard 1" that will have a whiteboard ready for you to use. If you want to open a second whiteboard, click on the + icon, and select whiteboard.
Whiteboard in candidate report
When the interviewer ends the Interview, the sketches present on the whiteboard get captured and is available in the candidate’s report.
On the Interviews tab of your HackerRank for Work account, click on the View Report icon on the relevant candidate’s record to open the CodePair report.
Inside the report, scroll down to the Whiteboard section to view the candidate’s whiteboard. You can also view the whiteboard on full screen by clicking on the enlarge icon.