SSO (Single Sign-on) on HackerRank for Work can be configured using efficient and productive Identity providers such as Okta.
As an identity provider, Okta enables you to provide SSO access to the cloud, on-premise, and mobile applications. Once you sign into Okta, you can launch your web applications without re-entering your credentials. The following article is a quick guide to configuring SSO on HackerRank with Okta.
To know about SSO and its benefits, refer to the article Getting started with SSO.
Note: HackerRank accepts only the user's email address. In the setup, the user defines the SAML assertion with the necessary data. HackerRank SSO fails if it receives anything other than an email address.
- You must have the Okta login credentials to add HackerRank for Work to your list of applications on Okta.
Adding HackerRank to Okta
- Log in to Okta with your credentials and proceed to the administrator dashboard. Under My Applications, click on the Add Applications option.A new pane is displayed.
- Search for HackerRank for Work and click Add. HackerRank for Work is Okta verified and is now added to your list of applications.
- Goto the General Settings. Set the application label and visibility, and check the option to automatically log in when the user lands on the login page.
- Click Next.
- You can now configure the settings on the sign-on options dialogue box, where you can view the setup instructions on SAML 2.0.
Note: You must enter a unique SSO ID that you can configure in your HackerRank for Work account.
Configuring SSO on HackerRank
- Copy the SSO Unique ID (refer to the below screenshot) and add it to your Identity Provider app (such as Okta, OneLogin, and so on) to allow you to generate the metadata XML file. For more information on Configuring and Enabling the SSO, refer to the Getting Started with SSO article.
Adding the SSO ID on Okta and Enabling SSO
- Copy the SSO Unique ID from the SSO Login URL.
- Paste only the SSO unique ID into the Okta sign-on options page.
- Click Done.
- Fetch the metadata URL to paste into HackerRank For Work SSO Settings portal.
- Once the metadata XML file is generated, click Upload Metadata and upload the file.
- After the upload, you will be able to see the metadata URL.
- Copy the URL generated on uploading the metadata XML file to an incognito browser window for testing. You should be able to see your IDP sign-in page. Sign in and confirm that you are taken back to HackerRank.
- Enable SSO for all organization users by clicking Enable SSO. In future, all users will be forced to sign in through the Identity Provider log-in page.
- You can disable the SSO setup for your company by clicking Disable SSO highlighted in red.
- Once the metadata URL is pasted into the SSO settings portal on HackerRank For Work, Setting up SSO with Okta integration is completed.
- When entering a valid username/email address during login, users are redirected to Okta to be logged in using SSO.
Note: After enabling SSO, users need not enter the account password while logging in. Entering the correct username/email will automatically redirect to an SSO login.