Observation Mode in HackerRank Interviews lets the interviewer keep an eye on what is happening on the candidate’s screen. This feature works like screen sharing where you as an interviewer can observe a candidate’s progress in real-time. The process to utilize the Observation Mode has been explained below.
Using the Observation Mode
Starting the Observation Mode
- Click on the candidate’s name on the interview screen and select the Observe Candidate button.
- Once you enter the Observation Mode you will be indicated with a colored outline on your screen.
Key Features of Observation Mode
- After starting the Observation Mode the candidate’s screen will be mirrored on your screen and you will be able to observe their progress.
- Your screen will move according to the candidate’s actions on their screen.
- If the candidate goes to the Input/Output tabs or clicks on the Run Code the same will be mirrored on your screen.
- While in the Observation Mode you can use the Scorecard and chat functions as usual without ending the Observation Mode. You can also open the question description while Observation Mode is active.
Things to Keep a Note
- Currently, the feature works anonymously for the interviewer. Candidates will not be notified that they are being observed.
- The Observation Mode will work independently in case of multiple interviewers are present in an interview. Each interviewer can choose to use the Observation Mode or not and it will not affect the other interviewers' experience.
- If the candidate opens the question description section while in the Observation Mode it will not be mirrored.
- The Observation Mode currently works only for the coding questions. If you have multiple types of questions on your interview and the candidate moves to a non-coding question then you will be moved out of the Observation Mode.
- If the candidate is working on a non-coding question you will not get the option to turn on the Observation Mode.
- In case the candidate gets disconnected from the interview or becomes idle, you will be moved out of Observation Mode.
Ending the Observation Mode
- If you want to end the Observation Mode there are two ways to do that:
- You can click anywhere on the code editor and you will be moved out of the Observation Mode.
- You can click on the candidate’s name and select the Exit Observation button.