Diagram questions aim to assess a candidate's skills in creating class diagrams, architecture diagrams, workflow diagrams, and circuit diagrams. The candidates can create simple or complex diagrams as required, and the examiners can view them to evaluate.
Diagram questions in HackerRank Tests use the draw.io diagramming tool's integrated abilities to support the designing of diagrams. Candidates can use the easy-to-use draw.io tool's capabilities to create various diagrams such as UML and Entity Relationships quickly. This article will walk you through the steps to creating a Diagram Question.
Refer to the following topics to understand how your candidates use the draw.io diagramming tool in HackerRank tests to design flowcharts and diagrams.
Steps to Create Diagram Question
- Click on the Library tab on the home page and click on the Create Question button.
- Click on the Diagram question type in the Select Question Type dialog box.
On the Problem Statement page, specify:
A. Problem Name
- The problem name should be short and topical. It should not give any hints to solve the problem.
- While you can assign any score you want for the questions you create, we use certain standards for assigning scores to the questions we create that you might find useful.
For an easy question that can be solved in 15 minutes
For a medium question that can be solved in 30 minutes
For a difficult question that can be solved in 45 to 60 minutes
- (Optional) Select the Tags from the drop-down list or add your own custom tag.
- Tags are words or phrases that help with the searchability and organization of your questions. You can add the existing tags or create new tags. Set the difficulty level for your question by associating the tags as Easy, Medium, or Hard. Alternatively, associate custom tags to identify your question by its complexity or its levels.
- When you view your questions in the Library, the associated tags will be indicated for every question. You can use these tags to generate candidate reports and performance graphs.
- Refer, to Associating the Tags for Questions for more information.
D. Problem Description
- While describing the problem statement, ensure that the question is precise and detailed. You can also use tables, graphs, or attachments to enhance clarity.
E. Interviewer Guidelines
- Interviewer Guidelines are for later reference. You can include a rubric about scoring the questions or write solutions to the problems in this section. These can be used by your team while evaluating the test. This step is optional.
Note: Interviewer Guidelines are only visible to your team and you.
You can support your problem statement and internal notes by attaching a relevant reference file in these sections. Refer to How to Attach a File to a Problem Statement for more information.
- Click on the Save & Proceed button to save the changes and proceed. The Diagram Settings page is displayed.
- In the left navigation pane of the displayed page, select the widget checkboxes. This page displays the draw.io tool's category of shapes, which will be available to candidates to design their diagrams.
- The Unified Modeling Language (UML) and Entity Relation categories are selected by default.
- Click on the Save Question button to save and exit. Alternatively, click on the Save & Add another button to save this question and proceed to create another one.
- The Questions you create are stored in the HackerRank Library under the “My company questions” section. The Question type and the associated tags are indicated below every Question title as shown below.
While in the Library, you can proceed to create more questions or add Questions to your Tests.