Single sign-on (SSO) is an authentication process that allows users to access multiple applications with one set of login credentials.
HackerRank for Work supports the option of SSO authentication to provide a seamless sign-on experience to users. SSO integration with HackerRank is a step towards enterprise readiness to provide easy and adequate access for larger teams without the added burden of managing login credentials.
Note: HackerRank can only accept the user's email address. In setup, the user defines the SAML assertion with necessary data. HackerRank SSO will fail if it receives anything but an email address.
Enabling SSO for User Authentication
- You must have an active HackerRank for Work account with company admin access.
Access your HackerRank for Work account (HRW) Settings and click on the Single Sign-On option.
The Single Sign-On configuration on HRW is a two-step process that includes,
- Configuring SSO
- Enabling SSO
- In this step, copy the SSO Unique ID (refer to the screenshot below) and add it to your Identity Provider app (e.g., Okta, OneLogin, etc.) to allow you to generate the metadata XML file.
- Once the metadata XML file is generated, click on the Upload Metadata button and upload the file. Once uploaded, you will be able to see the metadata UR
- In the Enable SSO step, copy the URL that got generated on uploading the metadata XML file to an incognito browser window for testing. You should be able to see your IDP sign-in page. Sign in and confirm that you are taken back to HackerRank.
- Enable SSO for all users of the organization by clicking on the Enable SSO button. Going forward, all users will be forced to sign in through the Identity Provider log-in page.
- You can disable the SSO setup for your company anytime by clicking on the ‘Disable SSO’ button highlighted in red.
Points to Note
- With the activation of SSO, new users from your company will no longer receive the welcome email to set their password.
- Once SSO is enabled, HRW accounts for all new users within your organization will be automatically activated, and entering the correct username/email will automatically redirect them to an SSO login.
- You cannot reset your HackerRank password when SSO is enabled. Instead, manage your password in your identity provider app (IDP).