Do you have an upcoming HackerRank assessment? Find out answers for some frequently asked questions about our Tests and CodePair interviews.
What is HackerRank?
What are the different types of assessments supported by HackerRank?
- HackerRank Tests - A coding and technical assessments platform with a built-in code execution environment that supports 35 different programming languages.
- CodePair - A video-based interactive coding interviews platform to conduct face-to-face interviews with Candidates located remotely.
Have you received an invite for a HackerRank assessment and don't know what to expect?
If you've received a HackerRank Test invite from your hiring company, log in to the Test and attempt the questions within the given time limit.
If you've received an interview invite on HackerRank's CodePair, click the interview link at the scheduled time to participate in a video-based interactive coding interview. You can expect one or more interviewers to join the interview discussion and present you with coding Questions to solve and display the output.
Is your HackerRank Test based on Front-end, Back-end or Full-stack Development roles?
See the Taking Front-end, Back-end, Full-stack developer assessments topic to know more.
Is there any preparation checklist before taking the assessments?
- Install and use the latest versions of Google Chrome or Firefox browsers to take your HackerRank assessments. See: Browser recommendations for the best experience
- Ensure that you have an uninterrupted internet and power supply to avoid problems during the assessments. See: Loss of connectivity during assessments
- Your Tests can be proctored. We recommend using a web camera-enabled computer to take the Test. See: Taking Proctored Tests
- Ensure that you do not engage in any plagiarism or other forms of malpractices during HackerRank's assessments. See: Preventing malpractices in HackerRank's assessments
If you have an upcoming CodePair interview, see the CodePair interview preparation checklist for Candidates topic for detailed information.
Can I attempt a sample Test before taking an actual Test?
See the HackerRank Environments page to know the code execution time and memory limits set on our platform.
What is the time given to finish a Test?
Refer to the hiring company's invite to know the scheduled Test period and the duration to complete a Test. You must have attempted the Test within this time.
Example: The following HackerRank Test invite shows that there is a scheduled 5-day period during which a Candidate can attempt the Test anytime. Upon login, a Candidate will have 60 minutes to attempt the Questions and submit the answers.
You can also check the allocated Test time duration indicated in the login page.
How can I log in to a Test?
- You must receive an email invite for a HackerRank Test.
- Open the invite and click Start Challenge or click the Test link provided in the email.
- Sign up for the HackerRank Community User account and log in. Alternatively, log in using the particular credentials provided in the invite.
- We recommend using Firefox or Google Chrome browsers for a good experience.
See: Logging on to HackerRank Tests for detailed information.
How can I log in to a CodePair interview session?
- You must receive a CodePair session link from your interviewer.
- Click the link at the scheduled interview time.
- On the landing page, enter your name in the Candidate Login section and click Join as Candidate. Once you join as a candidate you would be redirected to a virtual lobby (waiting room) and the Interviewer will allow you inside the Interview from the lobby.
- We recommend using Firefox or Google Chrome browsers for a good experience
See: Logging in to a CodePair interview session for detailed information.
What support material is available during a Test or interview?
- Instructions - The instructions provided for the Test.
- Interface - An overview of the HackerRank Test interface and different Question types.
- Coding environment specifications - Time and memory limits for code execution in each programming language.
- FAQs - Answers to some frequently asked questions.
During a Test or interview, click the shown icon as below and select "Start Tour" to familiarize yourself with the coding interface.
You will also find relevant help on the platform from the test landing page.
What kind of Questions can be expected in HackerRank's assessments?
HackerRank supports different types of Question across multiple programming languages. Your Test will include Questions based on the role you've applied for and the skills required in the Candidates being assessed for the role.
Once you open the test link that has been provided, you would be able to see the type of questions that the test will have.
Example: If you've applied for a Front-end Developer role, you can expect coding and technical questions related to Front-end software development using Angular, React or other frameworks.
Can I modify my submitted answers in a Test?
Yes, you can revisit Questions, modify submitted answers and resubmit them any number of times before the Test ends.
Sometimes, your Test can have Questions divided into different time-bound sections, and you cannot revisit a section when its allocated time has elapsed.
What happens if my Test times out before I could submit my answers?
While taking a Test, the HackerRank interface periodically auto-saves your answers and code. If your Test timed-out before you could submit an answer, HackerRank automatically submits your last saved answers in the Test.
After submitting my Test, how can I know my test results?
Can I retake a Test?
The company which sent you the HackerRank Test invite owns your Test submissions and reports. It’s their discretion to permit a reattempt for a particular Test.
If you wish to retake the Test, we recommend that you contact the concerned recruiter and request for a reinvite.
What if I encounter technical issues during a Test?