HackerRank for Work provides the ability to monitor Candidates’ focus on the Test screen while they are attempting Tests, and this is referred to as Proctoring. Through proctoring, HackerRank Recruiters can assess their Candidates’ authenticity and note any suspicious activities or malpractices during the Test.
At the start of a Test, with the Candidates’ consent, the Proctoring feature automatically enables their webcam and records periodic snapshots of a Candidate until the Test ends. Recruiters in HackerRank who review Candidates’ Test performance can also view the recorded snapshots of the their activities during the Test, and note any forbidden activities.
You can enable Proctoring for a HackerRank Test before you send the Test email invites. As the Candidate’s Test progresses, in the Proctor tab of the Candidate’s Summary page, you can view the webcam recorded snapshots of the Candidate’s activities.
Note: To avail the Proctoring ability for your HackerRank Tests please contact HackerRank Customer Support.
- You must have a HackerRank for Work account.
- You must have the Test Proctoring ability available on your HackerRank for Work account.
Let us take a look at how to enable Proctoring for a Test in HackerRank, and how Candidates view these Tests.
1. Navigate to Tests.
2. Select the Test for which you want to invite Candidates and enable proctoring.
3. Ensure that you have added the required Questions, made necessary settings and published the Test.
4. Click the Test Settings tab, and select Test Access.
5. Turn on the Enable Proctoring option. By default, this option is turned off.
6. Click Save Changes. Proctoring is now enabled for the selected Test.
7. Click Invite and send Test email invites to your Candidates.
Tip: In your Test email invite, you may indicate the purpose of Proctoring in the Test and add a recommendation for your Candidates to use Firefox or Chrome browsers for a good Test experience.
8. When Candidates click the Test link from the email invite, the HackerRank Test Instructions page displays. Along with the instructions, the page includes a note to Candidates about Proctoring being required for the Test.
9. This page requires Candidates to allow access to their webcam before proceeding to login to Test.
10. When Candidates click 'Enable webcam Access', they can proceed to login to the Test.
Note: Candidates can take Proctored Tests only using the Chrome or Firefox browsers.
11. From the beginning of the Test, the webcam is enabled and the Proctoring feature captures and records periodic snapshots of a Candidate. For the complete Test duration or until the Candidate submits the Test, the webcam captures and records a snapshot at one minute intervals.
12. As a Candidate progresses with a Test, back in HackerRank for Work, you can view the webcam recorded snapshots from the proctoring activity.
13. In the Candidates tab of the Test, click the Candidate name. The Summary page displays.
14. Click the Proctor tab. You will see the snapshots captured by the webcam at every one minute interval from beginning of the Test.
15. You can use the scroll bar in the Proctor tab to scroll through all the snapshots and take a note of any suspicious activities or malpractices by the Candidate.
Note: The PROCTOR tab is available under the Candidates Summary page only if Proctoring is enabled for a Test.