HackerRank for Work provides the ability to monitor Candidates’ focus on the Test screen while they are attempting Tests, and this is referred to as Proctoring. Through proctoring, recruiters can assess their Candidates’ authenticity and note any suspicious activities or malpractices during the Test.
At the start of a Test, with the Candidates’ consent, the Proctoring feature automatically enables their webcam and records periodic snapshots of a Candidate until the Test ends. Recruiters in HackerRank who review Candidates’ Test performance can also view the recorded snapshots of their activities during the Test and note any forbidden activities.
You can enable Proctoring for a HackerRank Test before you send the Test email invites. As the Candidate’s Test progresses, in the Proctor tab of the Candidate’s Summary page, you can view the webcam recorded snapshots of the Candidate’s activities.
Note: To avail of the Proctoring ability for your HackerRank Tests please contact HackerRank Customer Support.
Proctoring HackerRank Tests
Let us take a look at how to enable Proctoring for a Test in HackerRank, and how Candidates view these Tests.
- You must have the Test Proctoring ability available on your HackerRank for Work account.
1. Log in to the HackerRank for work and click on the Tests tab from the top menu.
2. Select the test for which you want to enable the proctoring.
3. Ensure that you have added the required Questions, made necessary settings and published the Test.
4. Go to the Settings tab and select the Test Access option from the left-hand panel.
5. Under Test Access settings, scroll down to the proctoring section.
Proctoring Settings for the Test
6. HackerRank offers 4 types of proctoring during the test.
- Copy/Paste Tracking.
- Tab Proctoring
- Photo Identification
Before the start of a Test, the Candidate’s consent will be taken to turn on their webcam to enable the Proctoring, Once taking the consent from the candidate Proctoring feature will automatically enable their webcam and record periodic snapshots of a Candidate until the Test ends.
The Copy/Paste tracking in the proctoring settings is enabled by default for all of your tests. If a candidate pastes a copied code in the assessment, you can view that pasted code in the candidate’s test report. Also, if the candidate tries to paste the code from other sources, it will be captured in our plagiarism model. The candidates can also be notified of their copy-paste activity through a caution popup as shown above however, we do not recommend showing this caution within the product since it might alert the candidates to resort to other means of cheating (apart from copy-pasting). Thus, we have set the prompt setting switched off by default under the settings. There are 3 possibilities of using these settings:
- Stay with the default settings: If you want to capture the copy-paste activity of candidates as part of the plagiarism model.
- Switch off the copy-paste toggle: If you don’t want to capture the copy-paste activity of a candidate / You are okay with candidates’ copy-paste activity.
- Switch on the prompt toggle: If you want the copy-paste activity to be captured as part of the plagiarism model but you also want to show the prompt to the candidates within the test.
When you turn on the Tab Proctoring option you can monitor if the candidate is switching between the tabs during the test. This will prevent the candidates to try any malpractice while they are taking the test. When a candidate tries to open another tab in their browser while taking the test a warning message will be displayed on their screen that the test is being proctored and if they still try to move between tabs, it will be reported to the interviewer.
If a candidate toggles between the tabs, it will be shown in their report.
View Proctoring details in candidate's report
- Open your test and click on the candidate name.
- Once the report is open click on the Timeline option in the top section.
- Click on the Show complete event list button at the bottom of the timeline chart.
- This will open a complete report of the candidate's activities during the test, In this report, you can check if the candidate has pasted any code or switched between the tabs during the test.
Enabling the photo identification helps you to monitor if the same candidate is taking the test or not, When you enable this option the system will automatically take the candidate’s photo before they start the test. The candidate will be notified and with a prompt a message to the candidate, as shown below, and take their photo before the start of the test.
Before, the test browser will prompt a message asking the candidate to allow the webcam access.
When Candidates click 'Enable webcam Access', they can proceed to login to the Test.
Note: Candidates can take Proctored Tests only using the Chrome or Firefox browsers.
From the beginning of the Test, the webcam is enabled and the Proctoring feature captures and records periodic snapshots of a Candidate. For the complete Test duration or until the Candidate submits the Test, the webcam captures and records a snapshot at one-minute intervals. As a Candidate progresses with a Test.
Check Proctoring Results
- Login to your HackerRank for work account Open your test and click on the candidate name.
- Once the summery click on the Proctor option in the top section.
Snapshot taken before the test for Photo Identification.
Snapshots taken in one-minute interval during the test for Proctoring.
You can use the scroll bar in the Proctor tab to scroll through all the snapshots and take a note of any suspicious activities or malpractices by the Candidate.
Tip: In your Test email invite, you may indicate the purpose of Proctoring in the Test and add a recommendation for your Candidates to use Firefox or Chrome browsers for a good Test experience.
Note: The PROCTOR tab is available under the Candidates Summary page only if Proctoring is enabled for a Test.